This is our basic list for running a website maintenance check. Ideally this should be done every month. While running our checks we also take time to notice what improvements, if any, could be made to make the site quicker, safer or just better for users.
Website maintenance checklist
- Backup the site
- Update WordPress
- Update plugins and themes
- Security sweep
- Performance analysis
- Page error checks
- Scan the server directory for any strange files
- Make sure Google Analytics is on and monitor stats
- View Google Search Console, looking for crawl errors or security issues
- Check scheduled backups are running
- Review site in mobile and desktop browsers
- Final backup.